Better riding is not a one-time benefit but a real skill for life.
Recognising that the majority of collisions are caused by driver or rider error, IAM Roadsmart’s original Advanced Driving Test was introduced in 1956 with the specific objective of significantly improving driving standards. By 1976 the number of motorcyclists in the UK had risen dramatically, so IAM Roadsmart launched the Advanced Riding test to help make bikers safer too. The tests are accredited by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). The Advanced Riding Test is not exclusively about safety, but encourages the rider to feel confident on the road, to make good progress, and to get greater enjoyment from the experience.
To date, over 400,000 people have taken the Advanced Test, the pass rate is around 75%, and we currently have over 100,000 active IAM members.
The IAM Roadsmart Advanced Rider Course contains everything you need to get your riding skills up to speed.
- An initial assessment with an IAM Roadsmart Observer from an IAM Roadsmart group local to you
- As many rides as required to get you to ‘test ready’ standard (typically 6 to 8 rides with an IAM Observer)
- The definitive guide to advanced riding techniques ‘How to be a better rider’
- Membership of your local IAM Roadsmart bike group, with invitations to group events
- Full preparation for your Advanced Riding Test
- Your Advanced Riding Test undertaken with a qualified examiner
- An IAM Roadsmart Advanced Riding Certificate on passing the test
- 12-month membership of the national IAM Roadsmart, which includes:
– Our award winning membership magazine ‘Advanced Driving’
– Access to a host of membership benefits, privileges and discounts
– Special insurance discounts and policy cover once you have passed
– Access to the members-only area of this website (for special events, services and member offers)
As a charitable organisation, the whole IAM Roadsmart Advanced Rider Course is available for only £175*.
The Lincolnshire Advanced Motorcycle Group will refund £10 on successful completion of the advanced test and also provide a Group t-shirt.
*There may be an additional contribution to be made to cover the petrol costs for the voluntary observer, as they will accompany you on observed rides on their own motorbike.
Rider coaching will be delivered by our qualified observer network who are available through your local IAM Roadsmart bike group. Once you have purchased your Advanced Rider Course you will be referred to the local group nearest to you.
Typically, you can expect the whole programme from your first assessment to test to take 3-5 months, depending on the programmes your chosen group is operating. There is often flexibility here, so discuss this with your local IAM Roadsmart group contact.
If you would like further information or have any questions you can call 0300 303 1134 (9am-5pm Monday to Friday) and speak to one of our Membership Services Team.
Further information is also available from the Lincolnshire Advanced Motorcycle Group. Contact John Cheetham on 01427 616864
To purchase the Advanced Rider Course click here.